Wednesday 31 August 2011

Connections ....

I live in a fairly large town .. but sometimes it seems so small (partly probably due to living in both Edinburgh and Aberdeen in the past). Small in the sense that it is always amazing how connected everyone is to each other - in a 6 degrees of Kevin bacon-kind of way...everyone knows each other. This is also highlighted because of my job, you would be surprising how pretty much everybody I have taught has some connection to someone else I have taught ....

Part of me loves that feeling of connection I have to people .. friends and obviously family, places, memories. I am still friends with a lot of my school friends, (my sister-in-law being one of them), and this week I have been fortunate enough to meet up with two of my longest and best, one lives in Madrid and one in Yorkshire.

There is just something about being with someone that has known you, and i mean every side of you, since you were 12/13 ... good and bad, warts and all...pre-dating children, relationships. It is funny to reminisce .. see yourself through their eyes (I was apparently viewed as an arty, confident free spirit , when in my head i was an angst ridden - ugly duckling) , get their recollections, their interpretations on the past .... their memories of my mum (the coolest mum, hip, pretty, young...but to me she was Adena to my Saffy....a nightmare!) .. they all remember Nanny, they all remember my parties ( I had legendary parties...!!) ..

Maybe it is because I am a sap, maybe because of my childhood ... but memories and connections to people are so important to me...bonds, loyalty...love. All these things which shape us....

But then there is also the part of me that likes to isolate myself from those all-knowing connections ... I am a firecly independent and self reliant person, so sometimes i like to duck out and keep my head low ... something which can be hard to do in a town where everyone knows your name ... lol!!

Friends old and new are important .... friends keep us sane... and I love all of mine. Thank you xx

No comments: